Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A long awaited day

Wow! It's finally here. The day we've waited for... We're pregnant! Those words just keep ringing in my ears. I just can not believe it. I am so very happy. We found out "unofficially" on Sunday, and although there are no false positives with pregnancy, I was still waiting for the "official" word from the doctor. This is so surreal. We're going to have a baby, or babies!!!!
What a journey this has been. Exactly 2 and a half years ago today, I was sitting in a hospital in Austin being told that I was going to lose my baby and they had no idea what was wrong with me. What a horrible, traumatic experience. Why, God, was this happening to me? I didn't understand...
Let me give you some background on me and George. We met in 1995, my first semester of college. My friend Mike introduced us and George helped me with an English paper. He is very smart, and a bit of a smartass! Once the paper was turned in, I looked back in the computer and he had changed the whole thing. It was very funny and I said, I really like this guy. He turned out to be an amazing friend, which is all he was for 7 years! Then, one day, I started to develop "feelings" for him. One night I confessed my love and so did he! We dated for 4 years and got married on march 4th, 2006. During that time we weathered a break up, a full-time traveling job for me, a move to Austin for him (which I later followed), and hurricane Katrina which forced us to push the wedding off for 4 months.
We decided that we wanted to wait a little while before having kids. All of our friends were kidless and we just didn't think we were ready. I then found out that I had a fibroid tumor on my uterus the size of a grapefruit that had to be removed before kids were possible. The surgery went great. No more excuses, it was time to try for kiddos!
In may of 2008, we went on a cruise with our best friends, who we helped hook up together, and BAM, we got pregnant! I wonder how that happened? LOL! Things were going great, other than a little bleeding in the beginning which turned out was kind of normal.
I had a dr.'s appt on august 22, 2008. Doc told me that my blood pressure was a little low, but nothing to worry about. He sent me next door for my blood work and then off I went about my day. We scheduled the next ultrasound for 2 weeks, that's when we were going to find out what the sex was. It was about 3am and I woke up and had to pee. When I sat down, the pain started. My abdomen hurt so bad! I couldn't breathe! I could barely move. I screamed for George to call 911. He was frantic. Running around the house looking for my pants and shoes. Yea, like I was really going to get dressed at a time like this. I just wanted EMS to get here and tell me what was going on.
They finally arrived, but didn't have a clue what was wrong. My blood pressure was extremely low, so off to the hospital we went. In the ER, they kept comming in asking questions and looking at charts and screens and kept leaving again. The tests went on for hours! No pain meds for me, I was preggers! It sucked!
They finally moved me to the labor & delivery floor sometime that morning. We were in a larger, private room so we could get some rest. They still don't know what is wrong, but the baby looked fine. After some time, I woke up to what I thought was me peeing on myself. Wrong, my water just broke, I going into labor! WHAT?! They said the baby was fine! The on call Doc came in & told us that I had to deliver this baby and they would start potossin. Over my DEAD body!!! There wad no way in Hell that I was delivering this baby that had no chance of survival! Besides, my Doc and I already decided on a c-section because of the fibroid surgery I had less than a year prior. She finally agreed to a section because they had to do an exploratory surgery anyway to figure out what was wrong with me. I kissed my husband good bye and off I went, still knowing nothing.
After surgery, I woke up in the ICU and there was a party going on in my room! Well, maybe not a party, but the drugs sure made it feel that way! I look to my left, and she looked like an angel kneeling next to my bedside. It was the Doc. She was there to tell me what happened. She thought they should wait till morning, but George knows me all too well and told her I would ask as soon as I woke. He was right!
It was a condition called placenta percreta. My placenta actually ruptured my uterin wall. That's not something that you hear about everyday. There is a reason why, it is very rare, and usually happens during labor, which results in a live birth and an emergency hysterectomy. Well, we got 1 out of 2. At that time, there had only been 3 confirmed cases of this happening during pregnancy including mine. Only 1 person lived, me.
That is why today is such an important day for me and George. Thank you Jesus! More to follow...


  1. I'm so happy for you guys! You deserve this and have had an amazing journey getting here! Thnk you for sharing with everyone for you guys are in our prayers, love Kristina,Daryl and Carson Bone:) keep us up to date

  2. Oh Tara, I am so sorry, but happy for the new "good news" also, I miss talking with you at our events, but think of you often! You are in my prayers forever! Karen Douglas

  3. Congratulations! I'll be SOOO happy to be Great Aunt Minnie again! xoxo

    Love & Blessings,

  4. You know I used to joke with George about my kids being grown before he had any. Well now they are grown and now I can spoil a new nephew or niece or both, God willing it will be two. I love you both and can't wait to meet my new baby or babies. George called me a few days ago while I was at work and told me the good news and all I could do was cry and I scared everyone with my tears but made sure to tell them that God had finally answered my brother and sis-in-laws prayers.

  5. Tara your story was so touching because we have been through the similar ordeal. And we stay in nola as well. we are in the 2ww with our GS but still waiting on a bfp.Can you email me? I would like to talk to you more about your experience with your RE. I got to your blog from thanks.

  6. What a touching story, I'm so sorry for everything you've had to go through, but am excited that you have gotten the chance to move on and will soon experience the joys of parenthood. I look forward to following.